Yesterday, I sat down with my team to brainstorm how the marketing department can help every employee reach their full potential in the workplace. It is common knowledge that employees who feel recognized and valued for their individual contributions to the company are ultimately more productive and feel more fulfilled with their work.
It’s a simple equation:
Happy employees lead to better overall company performance, which, in turn, drives greater morale.
🙂 🙂 🙂 = $$$ = 🙂 🙂 🙂
How does one jump start this chicken-and-egg equation?
There has been a greater emphasis on cross-functional collaboration in the tech industry in recent years, (Yahoo! is a good example) and companies who create collaborative work environments have found that it makes a measurable impact on their bottom line.
So, what can my team do to help employees interact more fluidly on both a personal and cross-functional level? Practicing what we preach, we sat down together and started brainstorming different projects, both short- and long-term, that can help foster employee engagement at Aerospike. Some of our ideas:
- Create a “Conversation Corner” in the office for people to chat comfortably away from their desks.
- Post a community board for event announcements, inspirational quotes, and photos.
- Create a company intranet or central portal for important information and send weekly email updates.
- Organize volunteer activities in the community and team bonding activities in-house.
- Offer employee wellness programs such as stretch breaks and a walking group.
I will update this blog on our progress on these fronts. I’d also like to hear your thoughts on this topic. How does your company foster employee engagement, either on a personal or professional level, to help them achieve their best work?